Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Talk and Make it Happen

Welcome to the Milk Mama Diaries Carnival (August). For this month, we join the World Alliance for Breastfeeding Action in it's "Talk to Me!" theme where participants will share personal experiences, insights or recommendations in communicating breastfeeding intentions and goals to their support system. Please scroll down to the end of this post and check out the other carnival participants.

I was advised by a surgeon (when I was still single) that I have to breastfeed so that the lumps in my breasts will disappear. She added that those lumps are breastmilk waiting to happen. Whoa?! This surprised me - a lot.

What she told me has marked in my mind and has led me to set my mind on breastfeeding. I did not know breastfeeding was more, way more than words can say (Isn’t that a cliché?). I thought, just breastfeed and voila! Everything will be okay. It was far from thought that a support system is important for me to breastfeed successfully.

I was pregnant with my first when I was fortunate enough to attend the Infant and Young Child Feeding training organized by our office. So timing! All the more, it strengthened my decision to breastfeed. There I learned that aside from “just breastfeeding,” you need the people around you to know that you intend to breastfeed, for them to support you and the need to create an environment that will help mothers to sustain breastfeeding. It is important to communicate with the people you know will be with you in your journey to breastfeeding – determine your support system – your family, friends, etc. Talk and make it happen. How did I do it with the people around me?

1. The Husband

Seeking the support of my husband did not present any problem. After my IYCF training, he got a dose of it. Haha! I told him everything I know about breastfeeding even the counseling part. I love how he accepted and supported my decision to breastfeed our baby, besides knowing the benefits – the savings we get from breastfeeding is the all-time favorite. May I add? My husband is my number 1 fan and main cheerleader. The support I get from him is a whooping 110%. He helped me all the way most especially with my needs in breastfeeding.

2. The Parents

When my first-born had fever in his 3rd day, my mom bugged me that there may have been something wrong with my milk or I don’t have enough milk (I know my mom means well. She was just concerned with his grandson). We argued when they insisted that I give formula milk to our baby. Yeah, I missed seeking my parents support with my decision to breastfeed – I didn’t bother since we were not living with them and they live in the province. My mistake, I know.

Until I brought my parents to a breastfeeding lecture, it was like magic! My parents were so happy with what they learned about breastfeeding that during the lecture they were tapping me as if telling me, “well dear daughter, you’re doing a good job with your baby! Do it your way, breastfeed.” I felt so fulfilled after that. It was like they waved the white banner of surrender haha! After that, my parents became technically breastfeeding fan.

But it was not just the lecture that did it. Every time my parents visit us here in Manila, I give bits of facts and information about breastfeeding or share experiences of other breastfeeding moms that I have met – I inform them like a trivia thing for “recall.” Little did I know that I was turning them into “breastfeeding advocates.” When they go home to our province, they would mention about breastfeeding to their friends, convince them about it and how it is good for their daughters and sons (or for their grandsons and granddaughters).

Now, I have their support (all out!) with breastfeeding – from baby #1 till baby #2.


3. The Nannies

Both nannies we had for baby #1 and baby #2 never before handled a breastfed baby. All were formula fed. I knew that I have to address my breastfeeding plans/decisions in a different way to be able to communicate and “connect” with them. Since we were Ilocanos, I explained my plans and how-to’s to breastfeeding in our local dialect. It was easier for them to understand. I talked to them about the benefits of breastfeeding and discussed how to give breastmilk to our baby, among other things, when I go back to work so they can see the importance of what I am doing or what they will be doing.

I showed them that there is less fuss in handling breastfed babies. No measuring of milk powder and gauging the temperature of the water to use, etc. – just thaw the breastmilk and place the container in warm water – and there, the milk is ready to be served to baby. I was glad to know that for both nannies, they found that having my breastfed babies was easier to handle. Not much of “busisi” as they compared with their previous “alagas.”

And just like what I did with my parents, I gave “trivial” information about breastfeeding – a.k.a. in a “chikahan” way. I believe that by doing it, I have convinced them more about breastfeeding. I can proudly say that I never had problems in my breastfeeding journey with our nannies. They are instrumental in my success in breastfeeding and in sustaining it.


Did I mention that I was more like a sales person every time I talk to my husband, parents and nannies about breastfeeding? Haha! I am glad they are very accommodating customers. My product is well marketed. And a plus is that they never get tired listening to me and they appreciate that I give information about breastfeeding every now and then.

I talked and I made it happen (Oh, still happening, I mean). I have a strong support system in breastfeeding.

These people (I know, this is just a partial of my long list) have been or are the important players in my breastfeeding journey. Having accepted and supported my decision to breastfeed, they played or are playing their role very well – I was able to breastfeed baby #1 for 2 and half years and I am exclusively breastfeeding baby #2 for four months already.

I made it happen. I believe communication is the key. Breastfeeding is not just a mom-baby thing, it’s a bigger picture. To enable your family/community/workplace to help you with your breastfeeding goals, talk to them, communicate your desires – share your knowledge. And believe it will happen - breastfeeding success. If you find problems along the way, seek help – talk – I know there will always be a helping hand. Breastfeeding is hard work but the results outweigh the efforts put together.

If all moms will talk about their intentions and goals to breastfeed to the people who will help them and will be with them in their breastfeeding journey, more moms will successfully breastfeed and we would be able create a community supportive of breastfeeding. And who benefits most are the breastfed children who we know have been given the best start in their lives.



Read more from other carnival participants!
Apples and Dumplings: Communication and First Time Breastfeeders
Dainty Mom: Creating a Pro-Breastfeeding Culture in the Family
Truly Rich Mom: Truly Rich Tips (esp. for moms) - How to get others to support you in breastfeeding
Mec as Mom: Pre-Natal Pediatric Consultations Are Necessary
Wifely Steps: On breastfeeding: Say it, claim it, get support!
EthanMama: My Best Breastfeeding Support System — My Husband
Touring Kitty: Communication through Breastfeeding
Escie's World: Ready, Get Set, Go! for Breastfeeding
J and the Three Boys: I'm breastfeeding, and that's that.
Nanaystrip: BreasTALK : Text, Retweet, Share your Knowledge and Experiences
PenpenEspie: A Shout out to My Breastfeeding Buddies 

Superwomom: A-S-Ks (on breastfeeding questions, help, support)

8 comments:

  1. oooh... i super love this post!!!!

    and I don't want doctors to be pushing and forcing the idea... but wouldn't it just be simply magical if more of them raised the notion in people (both men and women) instead of shooting it down?

    ang galing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Kate ;-) Ang galing mo magmarket! hehe ;-) Godbless all breastfeeding moms and their families! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mec - aww! thanks mec! doctors should also lead in influencing and convincing not just the mother but also the husband and other members of the family on breastfeeding. di ba minsan, when a first time mom is pregnant, its not just the husband who accompanies her to the OB, pati whole family. that should be a window of opportunity. first thing, the doctors should know about breastfeeding, ya know what i mean =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Teacher Mama Tina! haha! feel na feel ko maging marketing manager for breastfeeding =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your post is an excellent sales pitch. Selling the idea of breastfeeding takes effort, but it pays off in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  6. kate, it's a good thing you got your parents to attend a breastfeeding lecture! i really appreciate the lolas (lolos most especially) who take time to attend classes. if you are able to convince them, you have effectively ensured the mom's breastfeeding success!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice post, mommy Kate! I'm happy for you that your parents are proud of you for breastfeeding. It's really the best for their grandchildren, hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Kate!

    Nakakabilib na nakasama ko mo si Nanay sa breastfeeding lecture! Wish ko magawa ko rin yan sa nanay ko at MIL kahit 3 mos na si baby.
    Nakakabilib lalo na 2.5 years ka nagbreastfeed sa panganay mo. Galing!

    Masaya akong makasama ka sa Milk Mama Diaries Carnival (August).

    ReplyDelete